I love shaving cream! Its texture makes it a great source for all types of sensory play. Though, I especially love when shaving cream saves the day when I’m out of paint. I can easily just throw together a shaving cream paint activity.
The best part of this project is that it literally only uses 2 ingredients that you more than likely already have at home. Shaving cream & food coloring!
Want more quick & easy activities? Check out these 25 ideas.
For the shaving cream I suggest using a non-scented sensitve kind.
Here’s what you do…
Fill bowls, plastic cups, or a cupcake pan with shaving cream.
Add your food coloring to each one. Stir it up. Because the shaving cream is stark white you may have to keep adding more food coloring until you get the color you want.
This is also a great time to experiment with color mixing. Ask your kiddos which combinations of food coloring will make which color. Will red & blue make purple? Mix & find out.
Switch it up & use other items to paint with instead of a paintbrush. Try:
- Toilet paper roll (cut it into shapes to make stamps)
- Be sure to cover your surface with an old tablecloth or sheet.
- If you get shaving cream or food coloring on a surface or your hands you can simply wash it off. If there is food coloring left over, you can squirt more shaving cream on the surface or your hands to remove it.
- The paint will bleed through if you’re using regular paper. If you’re not using a protector on your table then put extra paper underneath.
- Less is more. Make sure your kiddos paint the shaving cream on thinly. The thicker they paint it on the longer that it will take to dry. Some really big chunks on our rainbow never dried.
Want more tips on how to clean up messes your kiddos leave behind? Learn them here.
If you have a baby, allow them to get into the fun too.
All you need to add into the supplies is a ziplock bag.
Fill the ziplock with shaving cream & food coloring. Once it’s closed fold the top down & tape it closed so that it won’t come out of the bag.
Then tape the bag to the floor for tummy time fun or to a table & let them explore.
Let’s connect! Sign up now to receive our weekly newsletter filled with inspiration & tips right to your inbox, PLUS get access to my freebie library filled with printables.
Pin for later↓